Traditionally we used Web Application Firewalls to protect the web apps. However, WAAP is the newer protection method that web apps are currently using that comes as an evolution of cloud web app firewall services.
Web apps are programs available online, and any user can access them via the internet from any part of the world. Web apps have several features, some of which are integrated using APIs. WAAP safeguards the web apps and the APIs used in those apps together.
WAAP comes as a service that provides auto-scaling security modules to your infrastructure and protects against several attacks. When getting WAAP services, users can also get additional services to enhance experience and performance.
As every web app is available on the public network, these become easily accessible to hackers. With WAAP services, you can effectively enhance security with the following qualities.
WAAP can offer run-time attack defense for your web app and the APIs when embedded in the runtime domain of your app.
Protection for your web app against a range of attacks. It is different from traditional WAF regarding AI capabilities and behavioral analysis. Thus, it blocks attacks when they are deployed to minimize the damage.
WAAP safeguards against Distributed Denial of Service attacks on the APIs, Web Apps, and network layers. WAAP services have scalability features that scale automatically as per the attack size and protection requirements.
It restricts abusive activity on the app level and prevents web apps and APIs from adverse effects.
This quality of WAAP works on data-aware micro perimeters, including individual features and services.
Bot protection from WAAP prevents suspicious bots from attacking your website while allowing safe bots to reach your app.
With WAAP implemented, criminals cannot take credentials from the backend of your website. Whenever some unauthorized user access one of the user accounts, WAAP detects and prevents that action.
WAAP has become extremely important to protect web applications against today's attackers. Here are some reasons why every advanced website must use it:
· Traditional solutions cannot detect attacks when their threat pattern changes. With WAAP implemented, any attacker changing their patterns will be ineffective as it continuously self-learns to enhance security.
· WAAP is efficient against port-based blocking, so the APIs using the same ports will be allowed. At the same time, only the suspicious activity on the network will be filtered out to enhance security.
· Traditional security regarding HTTP traffic is vulnerable at so many points. With WAAP, your website gets adequate isolation against threats while allowing authentic users.
· Encrypted traffic encryption has become necessary for every website. The traditional solution for this is TLS encryption, which enhances security, but detecting malware is inefficient here. With WAAP, sensitive data can be identified, and even if some malicious content is hidden in the traffic, it can be detected and prevented from reaching the app.
Web Application Firewalls have been used for a long time and have been very effective. However, today these traditional practices are known for their low-level security. It is usually because most WAF providers are not scaling and improving their services with changes in the marker. On the other hand, WAAP scales and offers the latest protection techniques.
Some other key considerations in checking which is more effective include:
· Modern web applications are continuously changing
· Increased usage of cloud architecture where WAFs are not effective
· WAF lacks a positive security model
· WAAP services are more efficient in the multi-cloud environment as more organizations are switching towards this strategy
· Lack of innovation in WAF security practices
With all these differences, WAAP is the more effective security solution.
Web application security is essential for every business, and while you may be protecting the application itself, the APIs you use might become a vulnerability. Currently, the most effective way is to get WAAP services to protect your cloud infrastructure from many attacks, including DDoS attacks.